November 6, 2009

Post-Communist Postcards

Looming Palace of the People.JPG
Nicolae Ceausescu's "Palace of the People," now the Romanian parliament building, Bucharest

Bucharest in the Rain.JPG

A Soviet-built Lada, Ukraine

Gently Sloping Crimean Countryside.JPG
Crimea, Ukraine

Yalta and Black Sea at Night.JPG
Yalta on the Black Sea, Crimea, Ukraine

Lenin in Yalta.JPG
A statue of Lenin angrily stares at a McDonald's across the square in Yalta, Crimea, Ukraine

Tank and Goats.JPG
A babushka, her two goats, and a Soviet tank, Ukraine

Communist blocks Ukraine.JPG
Communist housing blocks, Odessa, Ukraine

Posted by Michael J. Totten at November 6, 2009 5:36 PM

Comments

Great photos. I'm curious. What kind of camera do you use? Did you bring extra lenses on this trip? Did you use a tripod for the night shots?

Posted by: Jeffrey Author Profile Page at November 6, 2009 7:03 PM

You'd mentioned previously that the Ukraine countryside away from Kiev looked bleak! Will you be posting some photos of that countryside?

Looking forward to your commentaries about the old Eastern Bloc countries.

Posted by: ColdWarWarmHeart Author Profile Page at November 6, 2009 8:34 PM

Jeffrey:

I right-clicked on the last of the photos, and got the following information (presumably from the EXIF):

File change date and time: 2008:09:06 08:09:37
Image input equipment manufacturer: NIKON CORPORATION
Image input equipment model: NIKON D300

[...]

It looks as though Michael needs to set the date and time on his camera. :-)

Posted by: Ted S., Catskills, NY Author Profile Page at November 7, 2009 8:17 AM

Ted, I opened the same file with a hex editer and found this:

Picasa 3.0 08:09:06 08:09:37

That looks like timecode and not date, to me, since there is no valid date that contains the number 37! Also, the colons are customary with time code, not with dates. As time code, that would read 9 minutes and 6 seconds after 8 AM for the first, and 9 minutes and 37 seconds after 8 AM for the second. Part of a 31 second slide show maybe? Also, it seems to be associated with Picasa 3.0, not with the actual photo. I'm just speculating though. I'm not familiar with JPEG file formats anymore. Just out of curiosity, what program are you using that told you that was a date stamp for the photo?

Posted by: programmmer_craig Author Profile Page at November 7, 2009 12:03 PM

MJT's camera cost more than my computer and my television combined :(

Posted by: programmmer_craig Author Profile Page at November 7, 2009 12:20 PM

That's the information I got when right-clicking on the photo in Opera.

I got the same information when looking up the EXIF information in IrfanView.

Posted by: Ted S., Catskills, NY Author Profile Page at November 7, 2009 12:39 PM

Ted, I checked on the file format and that's an application-defined sub chunk. Means a program can put pretty much whatever it wants in there as the contents are not defined as part of the file format.

Posted by: programmmer_craig Author Profile Page at November 9, 2009 3:05 AM

Guys,

Please, forgive me for intruding, but wouldn't you rather hear it straight from he horse's mouth?

Posted by: leo Author Profile Page at November 10, 2009 10:16 AM

Yes, I use a Nikon D300 and the 18-200 lens.

Posted by: Michael J. Totten Author Profile Page at November 10, 2009 11:20 AM

An no, I don't use a tripod. I probably should, though.

Posted by: Michael J. Totten Author Profile Page at November 10, 2009 11:25 AM

Amazing pictures, especially Transylvania. Is it just naturally spooky-looking there?

I bought (but haven´t yet used) Gorillapod tripods. They´re small, flexible and can carry reasonably heavy SLRs. Best to check the weight of the camera and the lens, though

Posted by: maryatexitzero Author Profile Page at November 12, 2009 4:14 PM

Warning: include(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /home/mjt001/public_html/archives/2009/11/postcommunist-p.php on line 343

Warning: include(http://michaeltotten.com/mt_essays.php): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/mjt001/public_html/archives/2009/11/postcommunist-p.php on line 343

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'http://michaeltotten.com/mt_essays.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mjt001/public_html/archives/2009/11/postcommunist-p.php on line 343