July 14, 2009

Problem with the Comments Section

All comments, including my own, that include links are instantly deleted by my publishing software. Anyone who writes something in the comments section with even a single embedded link will see a message claiming the comment will be published after I approve it. But that isn't actually happening. These comments are being deleted straight away before I even have the chance to look at them, let alone approve them. I'm not sure what the problem is. This is not a feature. It's a bug. Any ideas?

Posted by Michael J. Totten at July 14, 2009 1:59 PM
Comments

test

Posted by: Michael J. Totten Author Profile Page at July 14, 2009 3:13 PM

Michael, welcome to the wonderful world of software bugs. An anecdote for your amusement follows.

Once, I wrote a piece of software that operated correctly on 3 computers. On the fourth, it worked well on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, but it failed on the rest of the weekdays. When January turned into February, the software stopped working altogether...

It turned out that the software took the information about date and time from the machine, and that, on the 4th computer, a Czech version of the operating system was running. Now, some of the abbreviations of weekday names in the Czech language (functional equivalents of the English Mon, Tue, Wed ...) do contain non-ASCII characters, others do not. The same is true for abbreviations of months.

Each time that the software was run, it attempted to load the date and time from the OS as a readable string; and if it was a day/month which contained Czech accented characters, the software would get hopelessly confused and crash.

Identification of this error took about 10 hours of hard work. After the real cause was discovered, correction itself was trivial...

You can laugh now.

Posted by: MarianCZ Author Profile Page at July 15, 2009 1:41 AM

"Any ideas?"

1. Problem is not complex and is very easy to fix.

2. Insist on your provider expediting process and coming up with correct solution within few hours. Use leverage if you got it.

3. If it did not work go elsewhere.

MarianCZ: "You can laugh now."

Most obvious bugs are the hardest to find.
Actually, if you cannot find one quickly it is best to ask for help if it is available.
Has nothing to do with one being smart or stupid, but has everything to do with "inertia of [faulty] though pattern" as I call it.

Posted by: leo Author Profile Page at July 15, 2009 5:47 AM

I've been very happy since I moved my (formerly Movable Type) blog to Wordpress. Spam is filtered, comments are easier to manage and the old blog was zipped and moved over fairly easily.

I'm just starting to play with the customizable .css feature, and I'm not sure how the paypal buttons work with Wordpress, but otherwise I'd recommend it.

Posted by: maryatexitzero Author Profile Page at July 15, 2009 7:51 AM

Like you, I require readers to register, but not with Moveable Type. I have a Wordpress blog, and also use Spam Karma II, from which I can set the number of URLs that even registered users can put into comments before I have to approve them.

V/r,