January 11, 2009

Well, Isn't That Interesting

U.S. thwarted Israeli plan to bomb Iranian nuclear facility.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at January 11, 2009 10:04 AM
Comments

"...a secret nuclear weapons program, a charge Tehran has denied." So prove it's peaceful; you only shut the door when you have a reason to keep somebody out.

Threatening times require brave decisions. Churchill needed. Is his name Netanyahu?

Tick, tock...

Posted by: Paul S. Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 10:21 AM

President Bush did the right thing.

Posted by: anand Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 10:55 AM

President Bush did the right thing. I have some respect for Bob Gates.

Posted by: glasnost Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 11:42 AM

Anand,

I agree. (I think.) If the American officers I spoke to in Baghdad recently are correct, Iran still has the ability to ratchet up the violence in Iraq. They are deterred from doing so right now, but likely wouldn't be if the US helped Israel take out their nuclear program.

The timing of this report is interesting. So many people right now seem to believe the United States government is controlled by the "Jewish lobby." Pat Buchanan's old canard has gone mainstream.

Posted by: Michael J. Totten Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 11:44 AM

Clearly by the way you used the word "interesting" it shows that you have no concern for the people of Gaza and are a heartless wretch committed to the destruction of the Palestinian people and probably drive an SUV!

Or you think it's interesting.

Posted by: Patrick S Lasswell Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 1:52 PM

Patrick,

You've made my day by "committed to the destruction of the Palestinian people and probably drive an SUV". Thank you!

And please say hello to Mr. Gore when you see him next time!

Posted by: DJ Drive Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 9:13 PM

I hope Israelis will not attack Iran.

Nuclear or not Iran might become friend to Israel and US and sooner than we all expect.

If I am not mistaking Iran will have next presidential elections this summer. I think we will like the results.

Posted by: leo Author Profile Page at January 11, 2009 9:50 PM

leo,

Sadly, based on what I read about previous Iranian candidate selection (really elimination) processes, Iranian elections today resemble Cuban and, to some lesser extent (so far), Venezuelan elections today.

Meanwhile, nuclear processing proceeds unimpeded. A point of no return is looming larger every day---the consequences of which will hold the potential for as much tragedy for Iranians as Israelis. I'm very apprenhensive about the near future, particularly post-20Jan09; the Change I'm Hoping for has a slim-to-none chance of happening. Oh, but we'll continue talking, and talking...

Tick,tock.

Posted by: Paul S. Author Profile Page at January 12, 2009 11:28 PM

Warning: include(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in /home/mjt001/public_html/archives/2009/01/well-isnt-that.php on line 278

Warning: include(http://michaeltotten.com/mt_essays.php): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/mjt001/public_html/archives/2009/01/well-isnt-that.php on line 278

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'http://michaeltotten.com/mt_essays.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mjt001/public_html/archives/2009/01/well-isnt-that.php on line 278