December 11, 2008

Welcome Charles Chuman

I'm nearly finished with a long dispatch from Sadr City, Baghdad, that I think you're going to like. And while my publishing schedule is a bit slower than usual, my friend and colleague Charles Chuman will publish some guest posts here to help take up the slack.

I met Charles years ago in Beirut, Lebanon, after I had been there only a week on my first trip in 2005. A lot of what I know about the country I learned from him and from people he introduced me to. He recently left Lebanon and returned to the United States to work for Barack Obama, but he's still in constant contact with his friends, colleagues, and sources in the Middle East. He knows what's going on in the Levant better than almost anyone. Trust him. I do. And please be nice in the comments.

I'll have more of my own work ready for you to read shortly, so stay tuned for coverage of both Beirut and Baghdad.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at December 11, 2008 4:37 AM
Comments

yo Charles
looking forward for what you have to write :).
Wissam

Posted by: kodder Author Profile Page at December 11, 2008 11:07 AM

Hi Charles - bet you're missing pleasant Beirut winters around now.

Looking forward to your posts!

Posted by: maryatexitzero Author Profile Page at December 11, 2008 12:12 PM

I'm very interested to hear from Charles. One of my greatest fears about Obama (who I voted for, BTW) is that he'll sell out Lebanon in search of some kind of accommodation with Syria that will effectively allow him and his supporters to stop thinking about either country. So I am interested to hear from an Obama partisan who also (presumably) loves Lebanon and wants the best for her.

Posted by: Gene Author Profile Page at December 14, 2008 10:14 AM

Hi Charles! Ditto on Charles being wonderful person to explain and show you around Lebanon.

"..... One of my greatest fears about Obama (who I voted for, BTW) is that he'll sell out Lebanon...."

Yup.

Posted by: Yehudit Author Profile Page at December 15, 2008 11:08 AM

One of my greatest fears about Obama is that he'll sell out America. Which he's already promised to do "if things get ugly". Which he's on course arrange.

Posted by: Brian H Author Profile Page at December 15, 2008 5:23 PM

err; "on course to arrange".

Posted by: Brian H Author Profile Page at December 15, 2008 7:12 PM