September 15, 2008

New Web Site Title

Middle East Journal has been removed from the title for its occasional inaccuracy.

Thanks for everyone who suggested new titles. I was persuaded by those who thought my name is all the branding I need. I suspected as much before I even asked, but thought I'd fish for other ideas. None of the other titles quite worked for me, but don't feel bad. I couldn't think of anything better myself.

Thanks to Mary Madigan for designing a new banner for me which you see now at the top.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at September 15, 2008 2:55 PM
Comments

Totten' Up

Posted by: Steve M Author Profile Page at September 15, 2008 3:56 PM

Simple and tasteful.

Posted by: leo Author Profile Page at September 15, 2008 6:39 PM

The pictures are OK. Too gray/blue though. Probably fits with your confederate tendencies though. You may want to change you background to a more complementary color. The font for your name sucks. To much empty space between the letters and the M is horribly anti-aliased.

Posted by: Graham Author Profile Page at September 15, 2008 9:53 PM

Graham: your confederate tendencies

Are you trying to get yourself banned?

I remember going round and round with you years ago. You got yourself banned. Then you apologized a year or so later and seemed like you were okay. Are you regressing, or can you cool it?

Posted by: Michael J. Totten Author Profile Page at September 15, 2008 10:40 PM

Michael J. Totten -- Great!
Or, well, very good.
Font is fine, tho maybe a bit spacey.

But yes, the second foto is too similar to the fine mountains in the first foto in dark blue-gray color, and hard to see details (I'd use the door foto as #2).

It was fun thinking of possibilities, and reading comments of many of your regulars for their ideas.

Posted by: Tom Grey - Liberty Dad Author Profile Page at September 16, 2008 7:43 AM

I am laughing at Graham. If you want to find negatives you can find them even in Mona Lisa. The font will never be perfect, as everyone has an opinion and preference.

I think it's brilliant for the site: it shows the diversity of countries you visit and report on /from. Those that know you need no more, for the rest you can always add a really small 'Diaries from the World' (maybe 1/10th of the title on the bottom right) without changing the title of the site.

Posted by: nameless-fool Author Profile Page at September 16, 2008 9:52 AM

Fantastic.

The banner looks very good, but you are doing some of the best journalism I've ever read, and it's that rather than the clean graphic design that keeps me coming back. :)

I found your blog when I followed a link to your Builders and Defenders article, and I've been reading ever since. I tried to find that old post, and the one when you made when you moved to being a full time professional war correspondent/international journalist. Unfortunately, your blogspot archives link doesn't work anymore, but it's been an incredible ride. I can't believe the incredible quality of the work you do.

Posted by: Wellspring Author Profile Page at September 18, 2008 4:11 AM

Perfect title design.

Posted by: mjnaples Author Profile Page at September 18, 2008 1:45 PM

Great banner. The blue-grey sets off the orange of the door and the red/yellow at the far right edge. Interesting segue from the black and white to full color, which is sort of the idea, isn't it? I mean, that's what you do. The font is clear as can be and that's the main thing. People don't understand how hard it is to make a font stand out from a multi-colored and multi-toned background. The black outlining was used to perform that. It's crystal clear all round.

Posted by: AbuNudnik Author Profile Page at September 23, 2008 9:11 AM

Here in Slovakia, we celibrate Name Days, from the Church calendar (like St. Valentin, Feb. 14). Like mini birthdays but more public, and shared with all who have the same name.

Michael has been the most popular name for decades.

Happy Name Day,
Michael J. Totten

(Last night we sang to our son Michael to the tune of Happy Birthday.)

Posted by: Tom Grey - Liberty Dad Author Profile Page at September 29, 2008 8:10 AM