February 8, 2008

Black Iraq Humor

My sense of humor darkened considerably when I lived in Lebanon. Beirutis, especially, have learned to laugh at things that would make the average American suburbanite's blood curdle. It's a coping mechanism, and I acquired a bit of it myself.

Iraq does the same thing to people:

Hat tip: Patrick Lasswell in the comments.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at February 8, 2008 12:26 AM
Comments

I don't think the Iraqi driver understood much of what he soldier said. I can tell he was trying hard to say "I love America and George Bush" when the soldier was expressing his desire to shoot some insurgents.

This video proves that the surge has failed miserably. The Iraqis are running wild with their scissors and refuse to drink milk and wear seat belt. The pitiful American forces can't even muster the courage to summon insurgents to a shootout themselves. Instead, they have to order random drivers on the road as "human invitation cards". This is sickening.

Posted by: lee Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 2:17 AM

It is the same thing in Belfast. I spent a lot of time there over the years, before and after the last IRA ceasefire.

I guess when you face death on almost a daily basis it is easy to get that dark humour.

Posted by: Marc Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 6:11 AM

hat tip to Patrick

That was frickin' hilarious. They'll be there for another hour if the insurgents want to play. Too funny. Proof positive that soldiers will do and say just about anything to break the monotony of their day. I can hear the conversation the soldiers prior to the taxi arriving.
"Watch, the next gomer that drives up, I'm gonna mess with him big time. Have the camera running." Obviously cleaned up and not verbatim.

Posted by: Kevin Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 8:26 AM

When my family visited Belfast last year, my son asked the local bartender for his favorite drink. The words "Irish car bomb" were out of his mouth before he realized where he was.

The bartender didn't miss a beat, he said "You'd have to go to West Belfast to get one of those". Then he let my son know that in his neighborhood, a Guinness with a shot of Baileys and Jamison is known as a depth charge.

Posted by: maryatexitzero Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 9:46 AM

I spent much of my time in Ireland in either Belfast or South Armagh. I guess I am a bit of an Irish Republican, in the political sense.

There are a lot of good pubs down the Falls Road in Belfast.

Posted by: Marc Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 11:47 AM

OT
What is a Irish Car Bomb? Never hear of that drink.

Posted by: Kevin Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 11:49 AM

There are a lot of good pubs down the Falls Road in Belfast

Interesting murals, too. Did you stop by the Sinn Fein gift shop?

Posted by: maryatexitzero Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 12:02 PM

What is a Irish Car Bomb?

Guinness with a shot of Baileys and Jamison. It's really popular in Boston. You put the shots into the Guinness, then drink the whole mess down very fast. The idea is to get it down in one gulp, before the Bailys curdles...

Posted by: maryatexitzero Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 12:04 PM

Okay, a "Depth Charge" with an Irish "flavor." Thanks maryatexitzero.

Posted by: Kevin Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 1:37 PM

Loved it.

...they can come from either direction. We don't care...

Posted by: james Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 1:41 PM

lee,

This is a staged joke video. Just like "This Old Insurgent's House" and any number of music videos. I found the link at the Marine Corps Gazette web site. You don't get a joke video link from a bunch of retired Marine Colonels if it is indicative of Marine failures.

If you are being sarcastic, please put in a smiley. If you are not being sarcastic, God help you.

The Marines are making fun of the insurgents, the Marine Corps Gazette is linking the joke; we are not losing this war. Marines at deadly risk of imminent attack do not make jokes about scheduling the next insurgent attack so they can eat and sleep in a timely manner.

Step back from the trees, look at the forest.

Posted by: Patrick S Lasswell Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 4:45 PM

Patrick,

Surely Lee gets the joke. Who could write this with a straight face?

Posted by: Michael J. Totten Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 5:28 PM

Very funny video and pretty good sarcasm from lee.

Posted by: deesine Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 6:11 PM

I saw this linked on break.com a week or two back. Good stuff. Gotta love our boys in the service!

Posted by: Nate Francis Author Profile Page at February 8, 2008 6:22 PM

I keep forgetting that the new registration system scared off all the troll brinkmanship posters. I still have the quick twitch responses from years of the twit patrol playing at the feathered edge of rational behavior to evoke responses.

I wonder where they all went once the light of minimal accountability sent them scattering like roaches?

Posted by: Patrick S Lasswell Author Profile Page at February 9, 2008 12:20 AM

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I wish I had put in smiley face. (I don't see the icons though)

I did NOT know this was a "staged" video however. I certainly looked like the soldier was having some fun at the expense of a random Iraqi driver. He seemed ill at ease. He was in on the joke, I hope?

Posted by: lee Author Profile Page at February 9, 2008 2:13 AM

I don't think the driver was in on it. It has a kinda "Punked" feel to it.

Posted by: Kevin Author Profile Page at February 9, 2008 6:48 AM

lee,

Michael feels that his literary credentials would be impugned by including a set of graphics in his comments software. Or he's just too cheap and thinks it's tacky. For these situations we advanced internet users know a hack whereby we type in [SHIFT+;] and [SHIFT+0] to accomplish the following graphics expedient :).

They have books and web sites on this now...:)

Posted by: Patrick S Lasswell Author Profile Page at February 9, 2008 9:36 AM

Modern version of an age-old story....

You can read of similar stories going back to the Civil War. God bless the American fighting man.

What a fantastic clip.

Posted by: JohnE Author Profile Page at February 9, 2008 11:36 AM

Dark circumstance creates dark humour - dark humour is generally the most supreme of all humour.

Posted by: Gary Author Profile Page at February 10, 2008 12:25 AM

"We just want something to shoot at." "Oh, there's a shitload there!" Poor, bored Marines. ;-( Pretty soon they'll all be on Prozac instead of meth!

Posted by: Brian H Author Profile Page at February 10, 2008 10:15 PM

That is why I will miss my days as an Infantry Officer. My family doesn't understand why I have mostly fond memories of serving in Iraq.

There was one day when our patrol base faced a coordinated attack with 2 VBIEDs, 2 suicide vest bombers, mortars, and a buttload of small arms and RPGs. When the fight was over, I was moving from position to position, checking on our security. I came upon an 18-year-old infantryman who was being relieved from his post. He was looking around, taking in exactly what happened. There was a human arm about 8 inches from his feet; behind him, a gaping hole in our perimeter wall created by a car bomb; a stray dog was running around with a human arm in his mouth, a gang of stray dogs were scrambling around a pile of human innards, and there were mangled car parts strewn about.

The infantryman lit up a cigarette, seemingly unfazed by the surreal backdrop, and informed me that, "sir, this was a damn good time for these dickheads to attack. If this had occurred two hours earlier, it would have been when I was in my cot, sound asleep. I don't like having my beauty sleep interrupted."

Posted by: Saint in Exile Author Profile Page at February 11, 2008 12:43 AM

Mary,

I have been to the old Sinn Fein shop near the peace wall and the new one on Falls Road proper. I have also been into the Republican Sinn Fein one on the Falls as well.

I have enjoyed a few pints in the "Felons Club" in Andy Town as well, but that was years ago. I have met Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness, again years ago.

Interesting to see how they have both evolved from paramilitary types into old men involved in day to day political affairs.

Now that I have children I havent been to Ireland since 2001. When they get a few years older I plan on taking them to Ireland and of course for the footie in Glasgow. Up Celtic!

Posted by: Marc Author Profile Page at February 11, 2008 6:43 AM

This video is hilarious...

Posted by: NYC Financial Planner Author Profile Page at July 29, 2008 6:47 PM