June 30, 2010

Christopher Hitchens Diagnosed with Cancer

Damn.

Christopher Hitchens has been diagnosed with cancer. According to the Washington Post, he has been "advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me."

Some thought he published his new book Hitch-22: A Memoir a bit prematurely. I hope they're right.

Get better, Christopher.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at June 30, 2010 4:40 PM
Comments
That's too bad. Hopefully the chemo will do it's thing -- the Left needs his voice to stick around for a long, long time still. And for this to happen to such a health nut as Hitch!

Oh, wait...
Posted by: Jason Holliston at June 30, 2010 4:54 pm
Esophageal cancer is tough, and the survival rate isn't good. I wish him the best in this.
Posted by: Phineas at June 30, 2010 5:09 pm
I'm looking forward to reading his new book, and was looking forward to seeing him in Austin during the tour. Now I won't be able to see him, but I'll move quickly to read him. This is horrible.
Posted by: Robert at June 30, 2010 5:15 pm
And it's esophageal cancer. Here's to hoping he survives, and with his voice at that.
Posted by: hexag1 at June 30, 2010 6:03 pm
That's bad news. I hope he hangs in there.
Posted by: semite5000 at June 30, 2010 6:05 pm
Just today I was thinking about what a great asset Hitch is to the anti-fascist movement. Here is a guy - a fat, over-the-hill drunk - who goes to Beirut and gets the sh*t kicked out of him for tearing down a poster. And then says he'd do it all again. THAT TAKES BALLS. We need more like him.

Get better, Hitch.
Posted by: Asher Abrams at June 30, 2010 6:09 pm
The world is a better place with Hitchens on it. Certainly not a paradise, but better, still. I hope he recovers asap.
Posted by: del at June 30, 2010 6:25 pm
dammit.

dammit.

dammit.

HITCH!,
R
Posted by: Render at June 30, 2010 6:34 pm
Shit.

Sean Holton's beating it...

Christopher can too.

The are no ROEs. There are no prisoners. The only thing to show the enemy is total brutality.

May he win this fight....

as he helped other to win theirs..
Posted by: Maxtrue at June 30, 2010 8:18 pm
Prostate cancer is survivable, bladder cancer is survivable, no clue about how tough beating esophageal cancer will be. But, perhaps Hitchens can beat it! Shall we pray for him?

However, chemotherapy can be rough to deal with and could slow him down for a bit!
Posted by: Doug Wright at June 30, 2010 8:29 pm
"Shall we pray for him?"

Being an atheist, would he be offended?
Posted by: gus3 at June 30, 2010 8:48 pm
I have been a huge fan of the Hitch since the mid 1990s.

Please get better. I'll pray for you, even though it will make you mad.

PS. It was the Hitch who wrote a column about an alliance with Iran to fight the Takfiri in the early 2000s. Agreed with him completely then. Still do.

Unfortunately, negotiations with Iran will have to await a legitimate Iranian government . . . which Khamenei does not represent.
Posted by: anan at June 30, 2010 8:53 pm
Get well, mr. Hitchens.
Posted by: leo at June 30, 2010 8:58 pm
This is the worst news I've heard in a while. And I'm from the Middle East!
Posted by: Ali at June 30, 2010 9:27 pm
A real shame - an erudite speaker, a gifted orator...a voice for reason. Best wishes Hitchy!! Z from down under
Posted by: Zvi at June 30, 2010 9:53 pm
Jesus, what a bummer.
Posted by: Abu Guerrilla at July 1, 2010 12:09 am
Very best wishes and thoughts to Mr. Hitchens. He is one of the good guys -agree or not with some of his positions.

Thanks for noting his condition Michael.
Posted by: Ron Snyder at July 1, 2010 4:11 am
May Hitch survives this illness and go on to discomfort his foes for many years to come. He has made a special contribution that stands out from the pack - a public intellectual, not just a journalist. Get well, mate.
Posted by: Lorenz Gude at July 1, 2010 6:49 am
Not cool at all.
We need Hitch.
Get well very soon, please.
Posted by: Gliker at July 1, 2010 7:12 am
This is not good news at all.
I hope his chemo works but oesophageal cancer is about the worst type of cancers one can have.
I sincerely hope he does well. He clear voice is still needed and for a long time to come!
Posted by: yesjb at July 1, 2010 8:26 am

Hat Tip Simon at Stubborn Facts.....
Posted by: Maxtrue at July 1, 2010 9:47 am
Hitchens is a national treasure. What a terrible calamity. Stay strong Christopher and beat this bloody cancer.
Posted by: Mike R at July 1, 2010 11:01 am
Like every other poster thus far, I hope for his recovery and wish Hitchens the best.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *
Posted by: Horace Jeffery Hodges at July 1, 2010 3:01 pm
"God is not Great" spoke to me like few other pieces of nonfiction literature I've read in my life.

Should the worst occur, his is a standard desperately in need of bearing.
Posted by: Nate at July 1, 2010 3:40 pm
Very sorry to hear that. Wishing him a speedy and painless as possible recovery
Posted by: Mary Madigan at July 2, 2010 9:47 am
esophogal cancer has a very poor prognosis if patient is not a candidate for surgery, which unfortunately it sounds like he is not. sometimes, however, a remission of a few years can be in the cards. He's already outlived his hero George Orwell by 15 years. I'm sure he's thought a lot about death and is not afraid to refuse to go gentle into that good night, if that is what it comes to.

David Brooks has an excellent appreciation of him in today's Times. Hitch really is an throwback to an earlier, better, more educated time.
Posted by: Markus at July 2, 2010 1:05 pm
I'm going to say that this man should receive high honours immediately, Christopher, you will be a man for the ages. A blight on the dishonest, always on the vanguard of righteousness, I consider him an avatar of the highest ideals. For a man I saw once, this news making me cry seems absurd, but, I can tell that he had a huge impact not just on myself, but on so many people all around the world. If I could accomplish a tenth of what Christopher has I will be a happy man. Christopher should and I believe does know he has the support of thousands around the globe. Get better Christopher.

Eitan R.