March 11, 2010

The Stoning of Soraya M.

I cannot recommend highly enough Iranian-American director Cyrus Nowrasteh's new film The Stoning of Soraya M.

Stoning of Soraya M 2

It has just been released on DVD and Blu-ray. See it. And see it soon because it looks like I'll have an interview with the director here shortly.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at March 11, 2010 2:09 PM
Comments
Not having seen the film, but imagining from the trailer how the story plays out, this was difficult to watch. I was reminded of Sophia Loren's Oscar winning performance in "Two Women" (1961), about an Italian mother and daughter's tragic lives as Allied forces fought towards Nazi-occupied Rome.
Posted by: Paul S. at March 11, 2010 9:25 pm
Be interested to read your interview. I heard her on NPR some time ago -- she was talking about how the Jordanian extras on the set reacted to the storyline -- with slowly dawning horror.
Posted by: AZZenny at March 11, 2010 11:06 pm
AZZenny: The director is a man. You must have heard an interview with his wife. She co-wrote the screenplay with him.

Paul: The film is indeed hard to watch, but it's something the world--especially the Islamic world--needs to see.
Posted by: Michael J. Totten at March 12, 2010 12:05 am
From the time a victim is buried up to their waist in the sand and the stoning starts, to the time they are finally dead, it takes around 30 minutes. I read this in an article about this movie, and have never read anything else quite as terrifying.
Posted by: Durand at March 12, 2010 5:09 am

I meant to see this a while ago, but then it fell off my radar. Thanks for putting it back on.
Posted by: Scott NYC at March 12, 2010 7:34 am
I hope you got a chance to ask him about "The Path To 9/11" and ABC/Disney's decision to quash its DVD release.
Posted by: Justin Levine at March 14, 2010 10:55 pm
I think you're right -- it may even have been an interview with both of them, but I do recall the woman in the interview and thinking that this is a movie that will give me lasting nightmares, so I will pass. Just reading about stonings, 'women's rooms' in Saudi Arabia, 'honor' killings, etc., makes me physically ill -- and enraged to a point that's pretty much crazy.
Posted by: AZZenny at March 15, 2010 10:52 pm
AZZenny,

Reading that Taliban had thrown acid in Afghani girls' faces did that to me.
Posted by: Paul S. at March 15, 2010 11:39 pm
I saw it. It's very well done. It's hard to watch -- you know what's coming. And the last scene is sick.
Posted by: Mike at March 16, 2010 1:27 am