November 6, 2009

Post-Communist Postcards

Looming Palace of the People.JPG

Nicolae Ceausescu's "Palace of the People," now the Romanian parliament building, Bucharest

Bucharest in the Rain.JPG

Bucharest, Romania, in the rain

Bucharest Skyline and Power Plants.JPG

Bucharest, Romania

Bucharest Old City.JPG

Old City, Bucharest, Romania

Bucharest Old City Bank.JPG

Old City, Bucharest, Romania

Atmospheric Transylvania 2.JPG

Transylvania, Romania

Clock Tower Sigishoara.JPG

Medieval clock tower, Sighisoara, Romania

Posted by Michael J. Totten at November 6, 2009 5:36 PM
Comments
Great photos. I'm curious. What kind of camera do you use? Did you bring extra lenses on this trip? Did you use a tripod for the night shots?
Posted by: Jeffrey at November 6, 2009 7:03 pm
You'd mentioned previously that the Ukraine countryside away from Kiev looked bleak! Will you be posting some photos of that countryside?
Looking forward to your commentaries about the old Eastern Bloc countries.
Posted by: ColdWarWarmHeart at November 6, 2009 8:34 pm
Jeffrey:
I right-clicked on the last of the photos, and got the following information (presumably from the EXIF):
File change date and time: 2008:09:06 08:09:37
Image input equipment manufacturer: NIKON CORPORATION
Image input equipment model: NIKON D300
[...]
It looks as though Michael needs to set the date and time on his camera. :-)
Posted by: Ted S., Catskills, NY at November 7, 2009 8:17 am
Ted, I opened the same file with a hex editer and found this:
Picasa 3.0 08:09:06 08:09:37
That looks like timecode and not date, to me, since there is no valid date that contains the number 37! Also, the colons are customary with time code, not with dates. As time code, that would read 9 minutes and 6 seconds after 8 AM for the first, and 9 minutes and 37 seconds after 8 AM for the second. Part of a 31 second slide show maybe? Also, it seems to be associated with Picasa 3.0, not with the actual photo. I'm just speculating though. I'm not familiar with JPEG file formats anymore. Just out of curiosity, what program are you using that told you that was a date stamp for the photo?
Posted by: programmmer_craig at November 7, 2009 12:03 pm
MJT's camera cost more than my computer and my television combined :(
Posted by: programmmer_craig at November 7, 2009 12:20 pm
That's the information I got when right-clicking on the photo in Opera.
I got the same information when looking up the EXIF information in IrfanView.
Posted by: Ted S., Catskills, NY at November 7, 2009 12:39 pm
Ted, I checked on the file format and that's an application-defined sub chunk. Means a program can put pretty much whatever it wants in there as the contents are not defined as part of the file format.
Posted by: programmmer_craig at November 9, 2009 3:05 am
Guys,
Please, forgive me for intruding, but wouldn't you rather hear it straight from he horse's mouth?
Posted by: leo at November 10, 2009 10:16 am
Yes, I use a Nikon D300 and the 18-200 lens.
Posted by: Michael J. Totten at November 10, 2009 11:20 am
An no, I don't use a tripod. I probably should, though.
Posted by: Michael J. Totten at November 10, 2009 11:25 am
Amazing pictures, especially Transylvania. Is it just naturally spooky-looking there?
I bought (but haven