October 5, 2009

Silicon Israel

While I'm working through a particularly knotty section of my book, go read Silicon Israel by George Gilder in City Journal. This essay is absolutely fascinating and appears thematically related to his new book The Israel Test, which I am definitely going to read. I wrote a few summaries for you, but ended up deleting them all. Just read it. Trust me. This is the most original piece I've read about Israel in a long time.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at October 5, 2009 2:02 AM
Comments
What a great article, thanks for the link!
I will definitely have to read "The Israel Test" now.
How's work coming on your own book?
Posted by: Joe at October 5, 2009 12:34 pm
I'm making progress. Some parts of the book are easier to write than others. I'm in a tough spot at the moment, but should be through it in a couple of days.
I'm enjoying the process much more than I thought I would, even when I'm in a tough spot like I am now.
Posted by: Michael J. Totten at October 5, 2009 1:18 pm
Good to hear you're enjoying it!
Keep on keepin' on, I know that I and many others are looking forward to it.
Posted by: Joe at October 5, 2009 8:01 pm
Excellent. Goes well with what I saw on Bibi's face during his speach at the UN. Israel is about to send oil into obsolesence. I suggest the Arabs rethink their assault re: tossing out the dollar. I expect this from China and Russia. Duplicity from the Arabs, though, is the penultimate in betrayal. A fatal character flaw, in my opinion. Can they ever be trusted to come around to a more moderate interpretation of their religion's bloody aspirations? I am thinking NOT. I can no longer give them even half of what I see, much less the little of what I hear.
Posted by: JohnJimson at October 6, 2009 7:50 am
"Silicon Israel" is about right. Herzliyya was so much like Silicon Valley in California - they even had the same, bad rush hour traffic. The Israelis are playing to their strengths, intelligence and innovation.
Glad to hear that the book is progressing -
Posted by: maryatexitzero at October 6, 2009 11:14 am
I read Gilder's article in City Journal. I remember his book years ago, Microcosm. It's 20 years but still worth reading.
I am really worried about Iran now. Stratfor.com thinks war is coming. I read the CSIS study on an Iran-Israel nuclear exchange when it came out two years ago. I don't think Netanyahu will wait. Both Putin and Ahmadinejad think Obama is weak so there is little to protect us from a massive error in judgement.
Now, Obama and McChrystal are on collision course. Obama might decide to pull out; I can't see him giving McChrystal the troops he needs. If he ties to muddle along with Biden's ridiculous advice, I think McChrystal would resign, as the Joint Chiefs should have resigned in Vietnam. Petraeus is being treated for prostate cancer. He might just go, too.
Pulling out would be a huge mistake but it wouldn't sacrifice the soldiers for Obama's poll numbers. That is what I think McChrystal is trying to tell him.
Then we have a potential war with Iran if Israel strikes the uranium plants and Iran tries to strike back at us. I don't think they can do much to Israel except with Hezbollah. Russia is supporting Iran and will make any sanctions fail. When the Iranians seized the hostages in 1979, the Joint Chiefs wanted Carter to destroy Kharg Island. I can't see Obama doing anything that aggressive.
He is facing a revolt by the military on the eve of war. Stalin paid dearly for purging the Red Army commanders in 1937.
Posted by: Mike K at October 6, 2009 3:45 pm
Michael, I guess you didn't agree with my comment about Iran. Sorry.
Posted by: Mike K at October 6, 2009 6:16 pm
Mike K,
Your comment went to my spam folder. All comments with links in them now go to my spam folder, even though they aren't supposed to. It's a bug, and I can't seem to fix it.
Posted by: Michael J. Totten at October 6, 2009 6:36 pm
Anyway, as you can see, I fished your comment out of the spam folder and it now appears above.
Posted by: Michael J. Totten at October 6, 2009 6:37 pm
Great article, MJT. I'm headed to Jerusalem for a PTSD conference in a week, plus 10 days thereafter in the Negev and the North, and will pick up The Israel Test for airplane reading.
One of my standing complaints is that it is extremely hard for an American small investor to get in on any of the many cool new tech companies there. Unless you've got huge dough, you have to wait until they've gone big time.
Have fun writing. It's supposed to be fun.
Posted by: AZZenny at October 6, 2009 11:51 pm