August 25, 2009

Europe Isn’t Actually a Utopian Theme Park

I enjoy visiting Europe when I can and when I can afford it

Posted by Michael J. Totten at August 25, 2009 3:11 PM
Comments
As someone who has visited family in France many times and walked through some of the non-tourist areas more than the average American tourist, I think you are exaggerating a bit.
I can't speak for other European countries but the overall urban and small town scenery of France is much better than the US.
I have family in a western Parisian suburb and it very nice. Okay, no, I haven't seen any of slums we all heard about and I'm sure they exist, but they probably aren't any worse than the slums in Baltimore, which are a thousand times better than the slums in Brazil, but then again, which slums aren't better than Brazil.
END TANGENT!
Things are pricier in Europe because of the taxes, but hey, we have tens of millions of uninsured American right here at home.
Posted by: Michael W. at August 25, 2009 7:11 pm
So very true!
In Prague, where I am sitting now, the old center is a real highlight, an unique medieval city on its own.
But go 30 miles away, and you may find some really ugly places.
Posted by: MarianCZ at August 26, 2009 12:09 am
Long Island is actually quite affluent
Posted by: Boojum at August 26, 2009 7:30 am
Every country is the same, they all have good and bad, rich and poor areas, anyone who thinks otherwise is deeply naive.
Posted by: Andrew at August 27, 2009 6:27 am
The old cities of ex-commie Eastern Europe are also nice, but with a lot more commie crap.
The poor villages outside the main cities are usually quite a bit poorer, but often with a lot more obvious new reconstruction.
But most Americans live in good areas of US cities, or modern suburbs -- and thus 'dump' is reasonably accurate to describe a lot of Europe.
Posted by: Tom Grey - Liberty Dad at September 1, 2009 10:13 pm